Horses for Loan£ 3,0006 yrs 9 mthsBuckskin
Spirit is a 15.1hh rising 7 year old tv x wb.
I have owned Spirit since she was 2, broke her in myself and over the past few years have mainly schooled and general hacking with the very odd jump here and there.
In April 2019 she went on full schooling livery with a dressage trainer whilst I was pregnant and came back home in October 2019. Since she has been home we haven’t had much chance to ride and I am struggling with time since having a newborn which has forced this most heart breaking decision.
The good points:
- Spirit is the sweetest most gentle loving mare you will ever come across
- She has excellent ground manners, my little boy and dogs will run around her legs without batting an eyelid
- She will try her heart out for you
- No matter the circumstance she has never bucked reared bronked and never becomes strong. Always a baffled mouthed
- Spirit is the kind of horse that you can ride once a week (however she is ‘easier’ when ridden more often), out hacking horses could take off galloping and you could still hold her back in walk alone, I have tacked her up after weeks of no riding and taken her to a New Years hunt meet (she has not been out hunting)
- She is not a stickler for routine and will pretty much adapt to any situation.
What Spirit has done:
- plenty of in hand and ridden showing
- Several pleasure rides / endurance rides
- Some local dressage tests
The bad points:
- spirit is a very nervous horse and can be very spooky although never nasty / malicious. She will ‘jump’ at a leaf one day but the next be braver than any other horse. For this reason she is not a novice ride. That said my novice 4 year old son, novice 8 year old niece and novice husband have ridden her however ultimately someone who is confident and unfazed by her spooks keeps her calmer. The more consistent work she is in the less spooky she becomes too.
- She cannot be left turned out alone. She hates to be on her own and will turn herself inside out in the field and come in a sweating mess.
- She has mostly been a field ornament for the past few months so will need an element of bringing back into work (although at the level of dressage training she was at shouldn’t take long)
- She is a fussy eater and top spec and haylage are pretty much all she will eat (this works well for keeping her weight on)
- As she is a worrier she needs a very quiet calm and sensitive worker. She is NOT naughty and does not need to be treated so. Just needs to be loved and shown the right way
- She hates people hanging onto her mouth so balance is a must and soft hands an absolute requirement to keep the best from this girl. If you see saw her mouth she will turn into a giraffe
The type of home that will suit spirit best:
- someone who already has a horse so that turn out won’t be an issue (or at least someone who can ensure she’s never out last)
- Someone will tune in their hands to give plenty of love and affection as well as riding (having a bond really helps her nerves)
- She works best on a quiet yard
All in all Spirit is just amazing and has so much potential in the right hands. She is absolutely my baby and I am so worried about where she ends up. She deserves the absolute vest life and honestly I don’t feel I’m offering her that anymore.
I am trying to find the right home for this girl to reach her full potential. Ideally loan or LWVTB would help me with breaking away from her as I can ensure she is still living the best life but a sale would be considered to only the most perfect of 5* home with references.
Thank you for taking the time to read this long winded advert! Please contact me for any further information
...Read full description