Horse Equipment – A Beginner’s Guide
Horse riding is an exhilarating hobby that attracts thousands of beginners to take up the sport every year. However, if you’re seriously committed to developing your interest in horse riding, you’ll need to buy the right horse equipment.
Learn more about what you’ll need to buy in this guide.
Equipment for Riders
• Riding Boots – These are specially-designed boots that you’ll need to wear during riding. These boots tend to have a distinct heel that prevents them from slipping off the stirrups and harming the horse.
• Riding Hats – Safety should be your top priority when riding, so a riding hat is an essential purchase. Learn more about riding hats here.
• Riding Gloves – Gloves can help boost a rider’s grip and can come in many designs.
• Whips – These are used to help a horse respond to commands, but need to be used carefully to ensure a horse does not come into any harm.
• Jodhpurs and Breeches – These are tight-fitting trousers that reach to the ankle to offer support and protection to the rider. In the modern day, they’re also becoming an increasingly popular fashion choice.
• Reflective Clothing – It’s essential to wear high visibility clothing when riding so road users are constantly aware of your presence, minimising the chances of an accident occurring.
Equipment for Horses
• Bridles – These sit in the horses mouth, and are used for instructing a horse to follow a command. Many bridles come with a bit, others do not. Click the link to learn more about different types of bridles.
• Saddles – The saddle is a supportive pad that sits on a horse’s back. A horse may take some time to become accustomed to the saddle, as this saddle guide explains.
• Stirrups – Attached to the saddle, this is a light frame or ring where the rider will place his foot.
• Shoulder Guards / Eye Guards – Some horses may require a little added protection when performing in competition or on return from injury, so guards can help stave off any further problems.
• General Tack – Any other equipment relating to the riding of the horse.
• Horsebox – Perhaps the most expensive investment in terms of horse equipment you’ll make, you can learn more about horseboxes here.
Find horse riding equipment on Equine Superstore.
Horse Equipment: Choosing Horse Tack
Buying a Saddle Pad
Horse Equipment: Using Clippers For the First Time
Need to name a horse? There are some crackers on here!
Diagnosing and treating horses with lice
Protect Your Horse Against Shoulder Rub This Winter