13 steps to making a saddle pad
- Measure the saddle you will be using with the saddle pad.
- The padding should be large enough that no part of the saddle overlaps the edge of it.
- You should make the saddle pad cover out of a durable yet thick fabric such as corduroy.
- Trim the corduroy to the right size; you will need two identical pieces.
- Sew the two pieces of fabric together leaving one end open so you achieve a pillow case effect.
- Use 5 cotton and 5 fleece layers alternately to form the padding that will go inside the corduroy case. You will need to trim these layers to size.
- Stack the layers making sure all the edges are even and then feed them into the corduroy cover.
- Make sure the saddle pad is even with no bumps of fabric anywhere.
- Sew the open end of the saddle pad shut.
- The next step in how to make a saddle pad is sewing straight down the middle. This will ensure that the layers of fleece and cotton inside the saddle pad do not move around and crinkle up.
- if you fancy decorating your saddle pad then you can embroider it as much as you want on the upper side of the pad.
- When using the saddle pad make sure that your horse is groomed before you fit any horse saddles.
- Put the saddle pad onto your horse and sit the saddle on top of the pad.
To take a look at saddle pads and other riding equipment, click here.
How to clean a saddle
Choosing a Saddle
How to fit a saddle correctly