Distraught Nelly Shell from Northumberland is calling for tighter restrictions on the sale of fireworks, as her horse 'Boy' sustained fatal injuries during an unofficial firework display.
Boy was apparently so scared he ran into a barbed wire fence, severing a tendon and damaging his cannon bone. The vet told Ms Shell there was no hope of recovery, she wrote on her Facebook "I am absolutely heartbroken as this could have been avoided if people didn't feel the need to set fireworks off right next to their field."
Nelly told ITV News: "I called a vet straight away but he said Boy had been very badly hurt. I was devastated. Money was no object and if he could have been saved believe me he would have been! He was loved unbelievably.”
“I'd had him for two and a half years, and nothing like this had ever happened before. He was never any trouble.
She added “If you are going to set fireworks off then please tell people nearby. If I'd known, I would have moved Boy to another field.
“It's not just horses, it's all animals, including sheep and cows in rural areas. I am trying to track whoever is responsible down, so I can explain the dangers to them. I would hate this to happen to someone else's pet.”
She is urging people to sign a petition calling for a ban on the sale of public fireworks and allowing only approved organised displays to go ahead in the future.
Another alternative, where a local government in the Italian town of Collecchio, Parma have passed legislation forcing citizens to use silent fireworks. These still produce a spectacular light show but without the deafening sounds, as a way of respecting animals and reducing stress caused to them.
Do you think the public sale of fireworks should be banned? Let us know on our Facebook page.