A Guide to Horse Accessories
Horse & Pony Accessories
Thursday 06 May 2010
Every horse owner needs various horse accessories in order to be able to ride and enjoy their horse. Some of the horse’s accessories are necessary for the safety of the horse and the rider and others are there simply to make things easier and more comfortable for everybody concerned. Read on to find out more about horse accessories.
Horse & Pony Accessories
• Many horses and ponies, especially in the winter, require horse rugs to stay warm in the harsh weather. These horse accessories are essential if the horse has been clipped. Horse rugs are essential pony accessories for animals that spend a lot of time outside in the winter. Turnout rugs are for use outside and are thick and waterproof whereas stable rugs are used at night to keep the horse warm when sleeping.
• Riding hats are a very important horse accessory for the rider. Horse accidents are not uncommon and it is vital that all riders adequately protect their head in the event of a fall. Body protectors are also becoming more and more common horse accessories for horse riders.
• One of the most useful of the horse’s accessories is his grooming kit. Horses need daily grooming to keep their coat and hooves in good condition and to spot the early signs of any conditions. Grooming horse accessories include a brush, a hoof pick and a comb. There are many different brushes which are good horse accessories and are used for different things such as applying water, brushing the main and brushing the tail.
• There are some pony accessories that are useful inside the stables; these include things such as unused (clean) dustbins that make very good stores for horse feed that help to keep the rodents out. Horse feeders and haynets are also very good horse accessories for inside the stables. Both of them allow the horse to eat its feed away from the ground, reducing the chances of illness and making cleaning up easier.
• Horses and ponies need mental stimulation and companionship when you are not around and horse mirrors make excellent horse accessories for horses that are left alone. These pony accessories make the animal feel as if it has company and have shown to reduce signs of unwanted stable behaviours.
• A good horse accessory for the pasture is a ball of some sort, large enough so that the horse can move it around. These sorts of horse accessories make excellent toys for horses and can keep them entertained for a long time.