Top 10 Horse Transport Points
1. Usually, horses are transported in horse trailers which are attached to cars or other tow vehicles.
2. Horseboxes that incorporate the engine and accommodation for horses are another popular choice.
3. Horse transport can also come in the form of containers with stalls by aeroplane.
4. Before making horse transport overseas, it is necessary to have the correct health papers and vaccinations taken care of.
5. When in transit, horses should be bandaged with shipping boots and other similar travel wraps. These keep the horse safe while travelling.
6. Allow ventilation in the window by opening windows in the horse trailer.
7. Stop every couple of hours on the road to give your horse some water and check his bandages.
8. If the horse is too hot, remove bandages or blankets he may be wearing. It’s certainly better for the horse to be a bit chilly than to overheat.
9. Keep an eye out in horse trailers for urine spots in bedding. Your horse may need to be unloaded throughout the journey to go to the toilet.
10. If you are going on a particularly long journey, bear in mind that horses should not be in a horse box for more than 10 hours. After this amount of time, the horse will need to rest in a stall for 12 hours before setting off again.
Find horse trailers for sale at Horsemart.